Our good friends at organic food delivery company Abel & Cole have come up with a tasty seasonal recipe for February; why not give it a try this weekend?
Kale, Butterbean and Orange Soup with Almonds
Kale, Butterbean & Orange Soup with Almonds
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Feeds: 2-4 people
Greens, beans and citrus: a knock-your-socks-off soup.
A few splashes of olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 potato, peeled and finely diced
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
½ red chilli, finely chopped (more or less, to taste)
1 sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
A pinch of ground cinnamon
The juice and zest of 1 orange
1 litre vegetable stock, warmed
2 x 400g tins of butter beans, drained and rinsed
4 large handfuls of kale, leaves removed from woody stalks and finely chopped
A large handful of almonds, chopped
A pinch of chilli powder
A drizzle of honey
Step by step
- Heat a large saucepan. Add a splash of oil. Once hot, add the onion, potato and carrot.
- Cook over a low heat until the onions are glossy and tender. Stir in the garlic, chilli, rosemary, cinnamon and orange juice and zest. Cook until the orange juice reduces to a sticky glaze. Add half the stock and the beans. Let it gently bubble until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add the kale. Mix. Cook for a moment, until it is a lush bright green.
- Whizz the soup in a food processor or blender until smooth, or serve chunky, adding stock as needed to reach the desired consistency.
- Season to taste. Add more orange or chilli if needed.
- Fry the chopped nuts in a little olive oil over a medium heat until just golden. Add a pinch of salt, a hint of chilli powder and a trickle of honey, just enough to coat.
- Once the honey has formed a sticky glaze, remove from the pan. Scatter nuts over each bowl of soup.